Thanks to The Strickland Trust
Apperley Cricket Club are extremely grateful for the contribution donated from the Miss Frances Strickland Charity Trust which has allowed us to build our new scorers’ box and umpires’ changing room.
The trust was established in 1888 to benefit local worthy causes. Early Trustees were Miss Strickland, Lady Mary Lyon and Pamela Strickland. Ariel Elliott took over as a Trustee in the 1970s and brought our late President Guy van der Gucht on board as a Trustee. Because of the limited income Ariel decided that the best course was to close down the charity and donate the proceeds to the Cricket Club.
We will be unveiling a plaque at the club to recognise this. The plaque will be placed on the new scorers’ box and umpires’ changing rooms recognising and thanking the Trust for its support in helping towards this facility being built.
Last year we planted an oak tree in Guy’s memory, we now have a plaque for this also, which will be placed near the tree when the sun shines in April.